History

In 1937, Frankel Company, Inc. was founded in Detroit.  The company was located on Fort St. and specialized in Nickel and Cobalt based alloys and refractory metals. 

The company moved its location in 1951 to the current location at 19300 Filer Avenue.  At this time, Frankel Company began to work with recycling titanium scrap products as titanium became an increasingly important metal worldwide.

Frankel Company, Inc. underwent a number of ownership changes in the years that followed.  The company continued to concentrate on titanium scrap recycling.  In 1970, a wash line was installed to crush, wash and dry titanium turnings for remelt applications.  The installation gave the company capacity to wash titanium turnings and allowed Frankel Company to expand its growing focus on recycled titanium products.

In 1984, ownership of Frankel company changed hands and the company was renamed Frankel Metal Company.  Five short years later, the facility once again welcomed new ownership and became part of the Shieldalloy group.  At this time, the production focus of the company remained largely unchanged from what it had been in the 1970's.  Frankel Metal processed titanium scrap solids and turnings by washing, crushing, torching or shearing for resale in various arms of the metals industry. 

Frankel Metal was purchased by Robert Swenson and the name of the company was changed to Global Titanium Inc. in 1996.  The focus of the organization would soon change as well.  In 1998, Global Titanium installed production capacity for melting ferrotitanium for use by the steel industry.  The furnace capacity for ferrotitanium would eventually exceed 9,000 MT annually.

In 2006, the company installed a second wash line for processing aerospace grade titanium turnings.  This new wash line enabled Global Titanium to expand their total washing capacity to over 12,000 MT of finished titanium turnings annually.

In an effort to continue the pattern of growth and expansion, Global Titanium also moved into the production of titanium powders in 2008 with the installation of a hydride-dehydride process for the conversion of wrought titanium and titanium sponge into fine powders.

Today, Global Titanium is one of the largest producers of ferrotitanium in the world.  While maintaining a firm grounding in the lessons and experience of its past, Global Titanium remains focused on its future.  The company's relentless pursuit of perfection in regards to safety, quality, and customer service remains the driver that moves Global Titanium forward and guides the growth of the organization.

Templates in Time